Who grants the permitted development rights?

Who grants the permitted development rights?

Parliament grants the permitted development rights. These rights are the general planning permission. When your project plans restricted by the authorities this allows you to achieve your plan by submitting a planning application.


Permitted development covers the house and outhouses. If you are living in a conservation area or live in a listed building this will not be applied. If you had done some work or construction you may enjoy some permitted development rights. 

Parliament or your local authorities regulated the permitted development as they can grant planning permission

Before you start to build your house and applying for a lawful development certificate you should always converse to qualified architect team or designers as MR. ARCHITECTURE has plenty of them. Let’s visit at https://mrarchitecture.co.uk/


What is a lawful development certificate?

When in the specific area the local laws for permitted development are not clear about your plan then you may apply for a lawful development certificate.

  1. ARCHITECTURE suggests you may go through this process because it will save you when you want to sell your property.

What I will need in the application process

It is similar to a planning application

  • A form of Application
  • An evidence which verifies the given information
  • Architectural plans and elevations.
  • Specified fee

What kind of work falls under permitted development?

Following are the indications to know whether your plan falls under the permitted development rights or not.


When you are applying for a lawful development certificate or you need planning permission and you feel any problem you may book in a free consultation call with our experts 07507964055

               You can enjoy permitted development rights if your single-story conservatory…

  • sitting to the side or rear of the house
  • Should not expand further than the rear wall of the existing house by 3m if a house is attached. If a house is not attached then you do not extend it by 4m.
  • Uses related building material to the existing house.
  • Uses less than half the size of land in the region of the original house.
  • When the side extension is less than half of the width of the original house.
  • Is not more than 4m in height
  • Having roof space and an edge that is no taller than the existing house.


If your loft conversion has a following set of measures you may fall within the category of permitted development rights


  • It adds less than 40m3 to a terraced house
  • It adds less than 50m3 to a detached house
  • If the existing part of the roof is higher or equal than a loft conversion
  • The space between a dormer wall and existing wall face must be at least 20cm
  • It has side windows that are covered


What are the building works which doesn’t fall under permitted development?

  • Following are the works which do not fall under this….
  • Balconies
  • Verandas
  • Raised platforms
  • Extensions beyond half of the land of the original house
  • Two-story side extensions within 7m of a rear boundary
  • Extensions 4m taller than existing house
  • Extensions exceeding half of the width of the original house
  • Uncovered side windows above the ground floor
  • Extensions at the front of the house

  How can we help?

Whatever you have the plan to build your house MR. ARCHITECTURE is likely to be able to make small changes that swing your extension to permitted development rights.

You are taking a risk if you are building without the lawful development certificate. If you do so you may have to remove your extension at your expenditures.

  1. ARCHITECTURE’S planning package can be used as a help in this process. We will guide you from initial to final, so you do not have to worry your home is in the hands of experts. https://mrarchitecture.co.uk/contact/


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *